Averting Disaster

This is my 2nd quit story on a disaster. And how I managed to make it work.  My award winning bipartisan quilt “Mt. Ruffmore” had its problems.  It is Beau, Buddy, Barney and Heidi.  Dogs that lived in the White House. I used wool batting because I remember being told that you could steam out any distortions. Not true !!!! The distortion in this quilt was monumental.

Because I quilt on a BERNINA (a sit down home machine) I cannot quilt very long continuing lines without getting a distortion.  The lines in this quilt are about 1/8” apart. No matter how much I steamed this quilt it would not lay flat. The sky and the upper border resembled a small mountain range.  After I jumped up and down, stomped my feet and screamed; I had to figure out how to solve the problem.

The red lines indicate where I cut into the quilt. First I cut off the upper and side borders. Then I cut the sky and took out a v shaped section. I zig-zagged it back together. Trimming the sky to be even and straight. The borders went back in 3 sections. Attaching the borders to the quilt I used a 3 step zig zag. With probably a length of 2 and the full width.  I covered the edges ( the zig zag) where the border met the quilt with ribbon.  Note * Not all ribbons are created equal. The inexpensive ribbon shrinks.  I used Ofray and there was no problem.

Then I bound, labeled, and sewed on the sleeve and I was done. Each quilt has its own story. I thought it would be fun to share these stories. Hope you like it. If you have any questions …please ask.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s